Assessment of the Clinical and Radiological Findings of Cases with Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis

Creative Commons License

ÇALIK M., Abuhandan M., PİŞKİN İ. E., Karakas E., Boyaci N., İŞCAN A.

JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND ANALYTICAL MEDICINE, vol.5, no.3, pp.198-200, 2014 (ESCI) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 5 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 2014
  • Doi Number: 10.4328/jcam.1301
  • Journal Indexes: Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI), Scopus, TR DİZİN (ULAKBİM)
  • Page Numbers: pp.198-200
  • Bezmialem Vakıf University Affiliated: Yes


Aim: Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE) is a slow virus infection, arising in the central nervous system in the form of late complication of measles virus. In this study we aimed to research the clinical and radiological features of our patients with SSPE. Material and Method: The study was attended by 19 patients with SSPE being followed-up in the Child Neurology Clinic of the Medical Faculty of Harran University. Patients were assessed as per the following aspects, including age, gender, measles case, complaints resulting in the application, findings from clinical phase and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain. Results: While 68.4% (n = 13) of the patients were male, remaining 31.6% (n = 6) thereof were female. At the time of application, atonic and myoclonus seizures were seen among 31.5% (n = 6) of the patients, and mental and behavioral changes were seen among 20% (n = 4) thereof. In MRI of brain, involvement was seen the most in cortical, sub-cortical, and periventricular white matter fields. Among the findings from MRI of brain, those detected as normal were 36.8% (n = 7) of the total. Discussion: At places where SSPE is seen as endemic, presence of such psychological findings among children, including atonic and myoclonic seizures, personality changes, aggressive behaviors, or autism, should be considered as a warning. Meanwhile, it should further be considered that, MRI of the brain at the earlier stages of the disease may bring forth normal findings in high ratios.